Monday, November 12, 2012

Book of the Month: "The Book of Revelation" Graphic Novel

I have a confession to make:  I got in a bit over my head on this book of the month thing.  I'm currently wrestling through a pretty complex and philosophical work that I don't see myself finishing within the month, so I decided to cheat a bit, and offer a review of a shorter graphic novel--"The Book of Revelation" translated by Mark Arey and Philemon Svastiades, adapted by Matt Dorff and illustrated by Chris Koelle.

The book is a graphic interpretation of the New Testament book of Revelation--it contains a new translation of the full text of Revelation with multi-panel and full page illustrations to supplement the text.  I purchased the book because I am familiar with the work of illustrator Chris Koelle who has produced some of my favorite contemporary Scripture based artwork (see "The History of Redemption" www.historyofredemption.org for a few examples).  Koelle has a fascinating ability to synthesize ancient Christian art and modern graphic design techniques and principles to communicate the ideas and emotions behind God's Word.  Here are a few thoughts about the work:

MY MAJOR RESERVATION:  As a follower of Jesus and a life-long student of the Bible, I take Scripture seriously.  I believe that it is God's Word in the most literal sense possible, inspired and authoritative.  That being the case, I am a little uncomfortable with messing with Scripture in any way-- particularly messing with a book that explicitly says, "if anyone adds anything to [the words of this book], God will add to him the plagues described in this book."  Revelation 22:18.  That's a serious warning, and I wondered if it was wise to add illustrations to a book that pushes the limits of imagination, let alone depiction.

Ultimately, I am comfortable with the idea, because the book reverently submits the artwork to the text, making the words of the Scripture central.  In fact, I would say, the book is much like one of the Bible commentaries that I find so useful.  It places the inspired Scripture in front of us and and offers some historical, cultural, or linguistic thoughts which are not inspired, but may be nonetheless true, and helpful for bringing us to a deeper understanding of the inspired words.  I came to think of "The Book of Revelation" graphic novel as a commentary that used pictures instead of words to offer the illustrator's insight into Scripture.

MY NIT-PICKY COMPLAINT:  The book contains the text of a new translation of the ancient Greek manuscripts of the book of Revelation.  The translators' credentials for producing a new version of the text are not listed in the book, but based on a lot of personal study of the book of Revelation, it seems to be a decent translation. I did have a few nit-picky complaints--for example, instead of translating Jesus' promise to the church of Pergamum in Revelation 2:17 as the receipt of a "white stone," the translators make it a "white writ of acquittal."  That is one valid interpretation of what the white stone might mean but it is not what the original Greek says.  I prefer translations that, as much as possible, keep within the limits of the language and don't stray into interpreting the ideas.

Now that I've bored you with nit-picky translation notes, let me get to the good stuff:

MY RECOMMENDATION:  The book is fantastic.  I read through all 22 chapters of the book of Revelation in about an hour and a half on a Friday night (not something I'm sure I would have accomplished, had there not been supplementary illustrations).  I've studied and read the book of Revelation so many times that I think I had grown a bit numb to the beauty and terror, hope and horror within the pages.  It is truly a gripping picture of the culmination of history and the ultimate and inevitable victory and rule of Jesus Christ.  The illustrations consistently portray Jesus as the central figure of history, whether He be the suffering Servant of the cross, the conquering Lamb at the center of heaven's worship, or the celestial indisputable King of the cosmos.  Although no form of art could do justice to the glory and beauty of Christ, Koelle does a fantastic job of reminding us that Jesus is more noble, powerful, and wonderful than we may have remembered.  I was also reminded of how terrible God's wrath will be on those who resist the rule of His Son.  It's been quite a while since I've felt the level of horror in the book of Revelation that I saw portrayed in the pictures.  As disturbing as some of the images may be, however, the illustrator remains careful not to stray into gratuitous violence or gore.  The horror and judgment of the sinful world is more implied than explicitly sketched out.  I was even impressed by the depiction of the angels--I tend to imagine angels as fairly innocuous beings (like people with wings).  Koelle however illustrates them as fierce passionate otherworldly beings--creatures that would truly have to remind us not to be afraid if we encountered them.

In the end, I think the best parts of the book were not the fantastic images of demonic locusts, seven headed dragons, and worldwide cataclysms (although it was fascinating to see how these complex characters and events were depicted), but the nuanced reactions of the author, John, as he beholds and records His vision.  John is shown responding in dumbstruck awe, in disgust, in terror, and in overwhelming joy.  He tearfully embraces Jesus like an old friend.  He stands shell-shocked by the glories of heaven.  He recoils in disgust at the prostitute, Babylon who seduces the earth.  And as I observed John's reactions, so vividly drawn, I remembered that I too am asked to react to what God is revealing here.  I too am to enter into a thankful embrace of Jesus, a deep awe of the glories of God, a bitter disgust at the nature and consequences of sin.  And to that end-- to the purpose of entering just a little further into the beautiful story of what Jesus Christ has done, what He is doing, and, ultimately, what He will do--I can recommend this wonderful little piece of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment